Student Village Academy Forums HISTORY General History Which famous person in history who is idolized was actually a horrible person?

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Adesewa Oyin
      Participant

Drop comments

justseyi
      Keymaster

One historical figure who shocked me when I learned more about them was Thomas Edison. Most people know him as the brilliant inventor who gave us the light bulb and other amazing innovations, but there’s a darker side to his story that I didn’t expect.

For instance, Edison had a famous rivalry with another inventor, Nikola Tesla. Tesla came up with a better system of electricity called AC (alternating current), while Edison was pushing for his version, DC (direct current). Instead of having a healthy competition, Edison went to extreme lengths to discredit Tesla’s invention. He even staged public demonstrations where he electrocuted animals—ranging from dogs to an elephant—to make people think AC was dangerous. It was disturbing to learn that someone so celebrated could be so manipulative and ruthless.

In addition to this, Edison had a pattern of taking credit for the work of others. He was great at promoting himself and building his reputation, but many of the inventions he claimed as his own were actually the ideas of his employees or even his competitors. This habit of claiming others’ achievements as his own really altered how I viewed him.

Discovering these facts completely changed my perspective on Edison. I had always admired him as this incredible genius we were taught to look up to, but learning about his questionable actions was really disappointing. It definitely shifted how I think about him as a historical figure.

Afolabi Abiodun
      Participant

Bola Ahmed Tinubu

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.